CITY SANCTUARY: AN URBAN MISSION
GET INVOLVED. HAVE AN IMPACT FOR GOOD.
There are many opportunities to use your gifts to serve others as Jesus did. Even if you can just do one thing consistently, you can have a real impact. Here are some ideas:
- Help teach classes based on your skill sets (cooking, budgeting, cleaning).
- Help lead small group classes or activities (including children and teen groups).
- Be a mentor to teach a teen a skill or art form they are interested in.
- Help provide food to low-income residents in downtown Portland with the PACS COW Mobile Pantry.
- Bring, cook, or help serve food at City Sanctuary’s weekly brunch.
- Help run sound or slides during City Sanctuary’s weekly worship service.
- Share your talents in music or art.
- Help with setup/teardown at music and art events.
- Join our cleaning team to help keep City Sanctuary clean.
If you can help in one of these areas, or if you have another idea for something you can do to serve others at City Sanctuary, email Tom White (firstname.lastname@example.org). Below is a list of outreach activities at City Sanctuary.
CITY SANCTUARY OUTREACH ACTIVITIES
- Participant in Lift Urban Portland‘s adopt-a-highrise program. City Sanctuary has adopted the Medallion, a Home Forward high rise apartment buildings just blocks from the mission headquarters, and helps out with three other Home Forward facilities in NW Portland.
- Monthly birthday parties for residents at the Medallion.
- Assistance with a resident-sponsored weekly movie night program by providing a big screen once a month at the Medallion.
- Food donations to Lift Urban Portland’s food bank.
- Teaching of life skills like cleaning, decluttering, and making homemade cleaning products for residents of various Home Forward properties.
- Assisting Home Forward residents in preparing their homes for pest control treatments.
- Working with the local resident services coordinator to provide furniture delivery and moving services for Home Forward residents.
- Monthly mobile food pantry service for Home Forward residents. City Sanctuary partners with PACS to bring the PACS COW Mobile Pantry (COW = Commodities On Wheels) to Home Forward high rises once a month.
- Music, entertainment and sound system support for community events like Home Forward’s National Night Out Party and Adventist Medical Center’s First Friday.
- Quarterly Open Artist Night (the next event is February 20 at 7:30 p.m.).
- Group discussion at 9:30 a.m. Saturday mornings, followed by a worship service at 11:15.
- Brunch/snacks served every Saturday morning between group discussion and worship service.